Wednesday, March 9, 2011

My First Thread Painting

I wanted to share this piece with you all because I had so much fun doing it and I was very pleased with the result. Liz Kettle posted a tutorial on the Havel's Sewing website that made it look so easy-and it was! I used a photo of mine of the daisy, printed in the size I wanted in B+W and then traced as she suggested. I had no problems with the sewing although it does take a while. I kept taking it out thinking it was done and then saw spaces that I had missed. I created the background out of tissue paper, heavier decorative paper, and parts of a Chinese newspaper from San Francisco. Then I painted it, stenciled and fused it to the background fabric. I used nylon invisible thread to stitch it down because I didn't want the petals to be free. I free motion quilted the background and then did a little hand embroidery in spots. The binding is some hand dyed fabric I had on hand. Here is the link to the tutorial that Liz posted--- 
http://blog.havelssewing.com/

Thanks Liz for sharing; I know I will be doing more of this.



3 comments:

lizkettle said...

Judy....awesome threadpainting!!! So glad you gave it a try.

Gloria said...

Great piece!! You did a fantastic job threadpainting this and thanks for the link too.

Michael said...

Experiment on different printing pattern for a layer.

miami printing companies